This BBQ Chicken and Kale Casserole is a take on an old family favourite. As a child, my mum used to make a deliciously filling tuna casserole; a bottom layer of rice, with a creamy, cheesy tuna top. However, with hubby not a fan of seafood, I’ve adapted mum’s original recipe to please the main man!
BBQ Chicken and Kale Casserole
- 350 g basmati rice
- full kettle boiling water
- 80 g kale leaves only
- 1 small bunch dill
- 1 small bunch parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- 25 g butter for rice mixture
- 40 g butter for bechamel sauce
- 40 g flour
- 500 g milk
- 1 whole BBQ chicken shredded
- 1 1/2 cups tasty cheese grated
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- Preheat over to 180 degrees celsius.
- Shred BBQ chicken and put aside.
- Boil a full kettle of water.
- Place steamer basket into TMX and measure rice. Remove basket of rice and rinse thoroughly under cold water.
- Add steamer basket back into TMX and cover rice with boiled water (approximately 1/2 cm above rice).
- Cook 10min/varoma/sp 2/mc on.
- While rice is cooking, finely chop the kale, dill and parsley. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Add cooked rice to the mixing bowl, along with 25g butter and combine all ingredients. Transfer rice mixture to a large baking tray, spreading evenly.
- Empty water out of TMX bowl and wipe down with paper towel.
- Add 40 g of butter to the TMX. Cook 3 min/100 deg/sp 1.
- Add flour. Cook 3 min/100 deg/sp 1.
- Add milk. Cook 6 min/90 deg/sp 4.
- With 1 minute left of cooking time, add dijon mustard through the lid opening.
- Add shredded chicken to the bechamel sauce in the TMX bowl and mix gently with a spatula.
- Evenly spread bechamel/chicken mixture over rice, then sprinkle with cheese
- Cook for approximately 45 minutes, until cheese has melted and is golden brown.