Whenever beetroot is in the fridge, it is pretty certain that beetroot pizza will be on the menu. Topped with nutrient-dense greens, it has become somewhat of a family favourite!
Beetroot Pizza with Salami and Greens
Adding a vegetable of some sort directly into the pizza dough itself, is a surefire say to get extra nutrients into your family's diet. Beetroot is a fun addition, particularly because of its vibrant colour!
- 250 g beetroot peeled and cubed
- 220 g lukewarm water
- 2 tsp dried instant yeast
- 200 g wholemeal spelt flour
- 200 g bakers flour
- 20 g olive oil plus extra for greasing
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 400 g mixed greens (kale, spinach, chard, warrigal greens etc.)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 100 g tomato paste
- 100 g salami
- 200 g mozzarella cheese grated
- Lightly grease a large bowl with olive oil and put aside.
- Place beetroot into TMX bowl. Chop 5 sec/sp 7. Remove from TMX and set aside.
- Without washing bowl, place water and yeast into TMX. Mix 20 sec/sp 2.
- Add spelt and bakers flour, olive oil, salt and beetroot to TMX bowl. Process 2 mins/kneading function.
- Place dough into prepared oiled bowl. Cover with cling wrap and set aside for approx. 1hr in a warm place. Dough should double in size.
- Remove stalks from greens and finely chop stalks and leaves, keeping seperate.
- In a large frying pan heat oil and add stalks, cooking for approx. 5 minutes to soften.
- Add garlic and cook for approx. 30 seconds.
- Add leaves of greens and cook for approx. 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius.
- Once dough has risen, divide in half and shape onto 2 pizza trays (lined with baking paper and lightly oiled).
- Spread tomato paste over bases.
- Cook bases in oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and distribute greens over the top of the bases.
- Place salami on greens and sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over the top.
- Cook for approx. 16-18 minutes until cheese is golden brown.
Any variety of greens will do for this recipe - feel free to mix it up!