A few weeks ago I went to a tomato preserving session, hosted by the Farmer’s Wife from Field to Feast (where I get all my organic produce from). I took along a few goodies for afternoon tea and hands down this banana bread got absolute rave reviews (and recipe requests, too!) So here it is… my Best Ever Banana Bread recipe.
Best Ever Banana Bread
- 125 g butter (softened)
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 4 ripe bananas
- 1 3/4 plain flour sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 6 medjool dates
- handful brazil nuts
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees celsius.
- Beat the butter, coconut sugar, vanilla bean paste and maple syrup in a large bowl, until the mixture is pale in colour.
- Continue beating, adding 2 eggs (one at a time).
- Mash 3 1/2 bananas in a seperate bowl (leaving the remaining half banana for decoration).
- Add the mashed banana, along with the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon to the main mixture and combine well.
- Roughly chop the medjool dates and brazil nuts. Stir through mixture.
- Transfer batter to a loaf tin lined with baking pare and place remaining banana half on top of batter.
- Cook in the oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- At the 45 minute mark, cover the tine with aluminium foil to prevent burning.
- Test banana bread is ready by inserting a skewer (it will come out clean when cooked).