This cottage pie is a firm family favourite, with everyone always requesting a second helping! Traditionally made with potato mash, adding sweet potato is a nice variation to try.
Cottage Pie with Potato and Sweet Potato Mash
- 500 g potato
- 500 g sweet potato
- large pot water
- 1 medium onion peeled and diced
- 1 large carrot peeled and finely diced
- 2 stalks celery finely diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 500 g beef mince
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 medium bunch parsley
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water (or stock)
- 1 cup tasty cheese grated
- Preheat oven to 200ºC.
- Bring a pot of water to the boil (approximately 2/3 full).
- Peel and chop the potatoes and sweet potatoes into 2cm chunks. Cook in boiling water for approximately 20-25 minutes until soft.
- While potatoes and sweet potatoes are cooking, add finely diced onion, carrot, celery and olive oil to a seperate frypan.
- Turn on heat to medium-high heat and sauté (stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon) for approximately 5 minutes, until onions are translucent.
- Add garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Add beef mince and break up meat with the wooden spoon. Allow to brown and cook for approximately 10 minutes.
- Finely chop rosemary and parsley, adding to meat mixture along with tomato paste and water (or stock).
- Let simmer and reduce for a further 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Returning to potatoes and sweet potatoes, drain the water from the pot.
- Mash using a potato masher, until relatively lump-free.
- Add butter and stir through to combine.
- Assemble pie, by placing meat mixture into the bottom of a baking dish.
- Top with potato/sweet potato mixture.
- Sprinkle grated cheese over the top.
- Bake in oven for approximately 25 minutes. Turn on grill function for last 5 minutes to brown on top.