This cauliflower gratin is truely gourmet with a drizzle of truffle oil and a scattering of specialty truffle salami. It’s also a little bit quirky using seasonal warrigal greens… However, the beauty of this dish is that you can easily substitute or omit if you don’t have the full list of weird and wonderful ingredients!
Gourmet Cauliflower Gratin
- 1 medium cauliflower cut into florets
- 1 tbsp butter
- 200 g button mushrooms peeled and halved
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 200 g spinach
- 200 g warrigal greens (can substitute for any green - more spinach, kale etc.)
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 50 g butter
- 50 g flour
- 500 ml milk
- 50 g truffle salami roughly chopped
- drizzle truffle oil
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Bring to boil about an inch of water in a saucepan (that allows for a steamer basket insert).
- Place the cauliflower into the steamer basket and set over the boiling water. Add lid over the top and allow to steam for approximately 6-8 minutes until the cauliflower is just tender.
- Place cauliflower into a large baking dish and set aside.
- In a large frypan, melt the tbsp of butter.
- Add the halved button mushrooms and garlic and cook for approximately 3 minutes.
- Add the spinach and warrigal greens to the pan (a handful at a time, allowing the greens to wilt a little before adding the next handful). Cook until all greens have wilted.
- Distribute greens and mushroom mixture evenly over the top of the cauliflower along with the truffle salami.
- To make the bechamel sauce, melt the 50g butter in a small saucepan at medium heat.
- Once the butter begins to bubble, stir through the flour continuously with a wooden spoon for approximately 3 minutes (this 'cooks out' the raw flour taste).
- Slowly add the milk (a little at a time), stirring continuously to avoid lumps. Once all the milk has been incorporated, turn down the heat to low and allow to cook for a further 2-3 minutes to thicken.
- Evenly pour the bechamel sauce over the top of the veggies/salami in the oven dish.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese and bake until golden brown for approximately 30 minutes.