This vegetable soup NEVER tastes the same twice. I always use a mix of whatever veggies are available in the fridge. It’s especially good on a cold winters night, served with a crusty piece of bread.
Hearty Vegetable Soup
This hearty vegetable soup is like a warm hug in a bowl! Full of nutrient dense veggies, it is a wholesome dish that nourishes the body and soul.
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 large potato
- 1 small sweet potato
- 200 g jerusalem artichokes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 litre water
- 200 g greens (spinach, kale, chard, warrigal greens)
- 1/4 head broccoli
- 1 large bunch parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- Dice onion, carrots and celery into small cubes.
- Add olive oil to a large pot and sauté onion, carrot and celery for approximately 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Peel and cube potato, sweet potato, and jerusalem artichokes, adding them to the pot and cooking for a further 10 minutes.
- Grate garlic into the pot using a microplane, stirring through and cooking for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the water, bringing it to a boil and then reducing it to a simmer. Let simmer for approximately 15 minutes.
- Roughly chop broccoli into small pieces and also greens and parsley. Add them to the mix and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Add salt to taste.
- Check to see that vegetables have cooked through. If vegetables are still a little hard, cook for 5-10 minutes longer.
Don't be deterred from this recipe if you don't have all the ingredients... It is so versatile that you can use pretty much whatever you've got in your veggie drawer!