Artichokes are more of a treat in our house, rather than a regular staple. Both Master 5 and Master 1 sure do love the novelty of eating them!
Lemon and Garlic Roasted Artichoke
- 2 artichokes
- 30 g melted butter
- large bunch parsley roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 200º celsius.
- Prepare artichokes by first removing the small lower leaves at the base of the stem. Then peel the stems using a vegetable peeler to remove the course outer skin of the stem. Cut the artichokes in half (cross-section) and cut out the furry 'choke' part.
- Combine butter, parsley, garlic and lemon in a small bowl.
- Brush all sides of the artichokes with the butter marinade, reserving a small amount of the marinade.
- Place the artichokes in a baking dish, cut side facing up.
- Cook in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, brush with remaining marinade and flip artichokes so the cut side is now facing down.
- Add water to oven dish and cover dish with foil.
- Cook for a further 40 minutes in the oven. When ready, artichokes should be tender and leaves fall off easily.