If you haven’t cooked with beef cheek before, you don’t know what you’re missing out on! Give this ragu recipe a try and you will truly come to appreciate it. The cheek is obviously a working muscle, so it needs time to break down during the cooking process. When it’s ready, you’ll know… it will completely fall apart and melt in your mouth.
Slow Cooked Beef Cheek Ragu
- 4 beef cheeks
- 1 large onion peeled and diced
- 2 medium carrots peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 3 tins tomato finely crushed
- 400 ml water
- large bunch fresh herbs parsley, rosemary, oregano, thyme, sage etc.
- Place all ingredients into a slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cover with lid. Cook on high for approximately 7-8 hours on high (or approximately 9-10 hours on low). Sauce is ready when meet falls apart easily.
- Remove beef cheeks from slow cooker. Shred meat, removing any veins. Return meat to sauce.
- Use as desired. Serve over pasta, or as as lasagne sauce etc.