This dish is a great way to get extra veggies into your kids diet. This Vegetable Pasta Bake is creamy, cheesy and delicious – all things that make for a winning meal for the entire family!
Vegetable Pasta Bake
- 1 broccoli cut into small florets and stalk diced into small cubes
- 2 carrots peeled and diced into small cubes
- 350 g macaroni pasta
- 200 g spinach finely chopped
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 50 g butter
- 50 g flour
- 500 ml milk
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 75 g parmesan cheese grated
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 200º celsius.
- Bring water to boil in a large pot.
- Once boiling, cook carrots and broccoli stalks for 3 minutes. Do not remove from water.
- To to pot, add pasta and broccoli florets. Cook for a further 8 minutes.
- With one minute remaining, add the spinach.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water. Drain remaining pasta/vegetable mixture.
- To make the bechamel sauce, melt the butter along with the garlic in a small saucepan at medium heat.
- Once the butter begins to bubble, stir through the flour continuously with a wooden spoon for approximately 2 minutes.
- Slowly add the mild ( a little at a time), stirring continuously to avoid lumps. Once all the milk has been incorporated , turn down the heat to low and allow to cook for a further 2-3 minutes to thicken.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat. Add the parmesan cheese to the bechamel sauce and stir through to combine.
- Combine the pasta/vegetables, bechamel sauce and reserved pasta water in the large pot.
- Place ingredients into a large baking dish and top with grated cheese.
- Bake until golden brown for approximately 30 minutes.